Saturday, June 16, 2012

Marriage and the Lost Generation.

So, let me share with you what happened to me this evening.

It was one of my oldest friend's 21st birthday. So, I got together with another friend that doesn't drink and we decided to make a short appearance at the get together. We get there, and we're just minding our own business, keeping to ourselves because we didn't really know many people. Well, about 10 minutes into the party, a guy yells over to us. I looked at him, and then back at my friend. He yells again, "Hey you, cute girl- come here". I look again, still unsure if he's talking to me or my friend, and back at her. Then I hear them going on about how he got rejected. He yells AGAIN. Finally, i lifted my hand and was like "Sorry, married". With the response of "That doesn't matter!"

A moment later, his friend comes over, telling me that he doesn't care that I'm married and that it's no big deal. I said that I cared that I was married. He tells me that his friend will 'treat me right'. I shook my head and told him I was happy with my marriage, and my husband. Finally, he asks to see my ring- probably because he didn't believe I was married. I showed it, and he continues to make fun of the diamond! Saying how small it was, etc. (P.S. My ring is actually pretty decent, so they were just being rude). He keeps pestering, until he finally got the point. He goes back and their whole group- for the next ten minutes is making fun of my marriage, and the fact that I'm not drinking alcohol (I had a gatorade in my hand, and my friend had a water). Needless to say, we left.


Point being, I am SO disgusted with our generation. When did this become okay? Here I am, not causing any trouble for anyone, and the feel the need to insult the most important thing to me. My husband is my number one priority. I am more than content-, blissful even, in my marriage. But for someone to so obviously disrespect my marriage, my ring, and my spouse- this is NOT okay.

Luckily, Seth was not there to witness or deal with this- since my friend and I had decided to make a girl's night out of it. I have no doubt that this person was simply just acting out because he got rejected, or whatever it was. I have definitely learned my lesson. I simply cannot be at these types of parties. They are NO longer my style. It is hard to be surrounded by so many people that do not share your values. I knew this going in, and yet I still went. Why? I was trying to be a good friend to someone I have known for so long.

Furthermore, why is marriage so frowned upon? This is because FAMILY values are no longer a priority. I'm not entirely sure when it became 'normal' to lose all of your family values. Anyone? If families were more valued, then our society would have a lot less problems.

Here I am, 10 days from going to the temple and being sealed to my spouse for all of time and eternity. There is no event on this earth that is more important to me. Why would ANYONE give that up for something meaningless, short lived, and worldly? I don't mean to hate on anyone- we all have our lifestyles. However, I was NOT criticizing anyone for their behavior tonight, I would expect to have my values respected as well.
 

It is times like these when I want to spread a rumor of a pot of gold at the bottom of a very steep cliff. However, I'm pretty sure heavenly father would rather I keep my head up, and continue on the path that I am. I do think tonight was important, though. I definitely have learned my lesson. Prior to being converted- I'd go to these types of parties all the time. I really have changed, and I have the Gospel to thank for that. I remember feeling empty before it, and it is nothing in comparison to the fulfillment and joy I feel now.

*sigh*

These really are the latter days.

1 comment:

  1. Nicole
    I agree with you100% you are on the right path don't ever let anything or anyone alter that ... It's a vulgar and rude inviornment out there ... No morals or values marriage is not respected you have made the right choice sometimes we lose old friends because of what we believe in ..my whole family quit interacting with me after I joined the church but my wife's family who are mostly LDS took me in , hang in there you are right in your beliefs and will be blessed

    ReplyDelete